Saturday 9 May 2015

I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP ON MY POLIICAL AMBITION - 9ICE

I Have Not Given Up On My Political Ambition - 9ICE
”9ice”

The Nigerian musician Abolore Akande, popularly known as 9ice, has revealed that he has not given up on his political ambition.
In an interview with Vanguard the musician talks about his ambition to become the governor of Oyo state.
Read excerpts from the interview below:
On lessons he learnt from his experience in politics:
“I’ve learnt that Nigeria lacks leadership. It’s ‘moneyticians’ that they see, and they have no choice but to follow whoever they see. During the course of my campaign, I learnt a lot, and I got closer to the people. I listened to their yearnings, and realized that they want a lot of things, but are not getting what they want.
I will also implore people who have the passion to lead their people to offer themselves up for service. The people that we have there now are not leaders; they’re just there for whatever they’ll gain.”

On his ultimate ambition:
“My ultimate ambition in politics is to become the governor of Oyo State. However, I’ll still run for the Federal House of Representatives to serve my constituency in the next election. I believe I can serve in that position very well, and I also know that I stand the chance to become the governor of Oyo State.”
On his plans for the people as the Special Adviser to the Oyo State governor on Youths:
“My plans are to spring up so many ideas that I already have at the back of my mind. Initiatives like the Governor’s Cup in terms of Sports, and also by organizing debates. The era of debates has died, and I think we need to encourage the brilliant students who have the capacity for that in Oyo State. I intend to present such students to the governor so they can be supported academically, and if the powers that be support the idea, then I think we’re good to go.”
On how he intends to combine his role as a public official and an artiste:
“I don’t think one disturbs the other. My political office is during the day as Abolore Akande, and music is performed at night by 9ice. I think I have already differentiated the two.”
On his plans to work towards regulating the industry in his own way:
“Definitely! That’s one of the reasons why I’m in politics. People in this industry complain every day, but there will be no change if we don’t participate. The more we are in government, the better it will be for us.”

9ice, born as Alexander Abolore Adegbola Adigun Alapomeji Ajifolajifaola is a Nigerian musician. He is a south-westerner from Ogbomoso in Oyo state but he grew up in the district of Bariga in Lagos.
He is known for his use of Yoruba language in his music, but mixes the Yoruba proverbs with English, broken English, Hausa and Ibo sometimes.
The Gongo Aso crooner contested for the Federal House of Representatives, Ogbomosho North/Ogbomosho South/Orire Federal Constituency on the platform of his party, All Progressive Congress (APC) but lost out at the primaries in the just-concluded general elections. 9ice was later appointed as the special adviser to the Oyo state governor, Abiola Ajimobi, on youths.

No comments: